A state- and nationally recognized student newspaper

Teachers react to new construction

June 10, 2016

Teachers and school members also expressed their opinions about Nixon and VMT’s new buildings.

Adolfo Malacara, Nixon Physics teacher, expressed his reaction towards the new Nixon building.

“[I think it’s] a very positive thing. I am happy of the new building. Kids are advancing and moving forward. (It’s) good to have new things,” Malacara said.

Matias Arambula, VMT AP US Government and Economics teacher who has been teaching at the campus for all 20 years of its existence, expressed how the change will take a while to get used to.

“I’m going to say that the moving of our campus away from here and next to Nixon High School has been an idea that has not been very well accepted. It will take time,” he said.

Arambula, when asked about how VMT’s vibe or feeling will change, he said it won’t be the same as its original location and how he feels about it since he has been teaching at VMT since the beginning.

“However, there is an atmosphere here at VMT that will not (and cannot) be replicated at our future campus. The openness and liberty to travel between buildings for classes is what gives VMT its unique college atmosphere. This ‘feeling’ we will not have at the new campus,” he said.

Arambula continued, “To me it’s sad that we will be leaving this campus within 2 years. VMT has been at this location since it opened back in August 1993. There are a lot of memories for me in these old buildings. However, I’ve always believed that change is good, and I must look forward to VMT’s future and hope that our campus will acquire a new atmosphere of learning.”

Dr. Martha Villarreal, director of VMT, said she was excited about the new building/location and that it will be a dramatic move.

“I’m excited. We’ve waited 20 years. We are going to turn VMT around. We can’t wait. (It is) dramatic. (We) finally are housed in a state-of-the-art facility,” she said.

Robert Treviño, son of Vidal M. Treviño and a school district employee, spoke about VMT and the vision his father had.

“I’m sure that my mom and dad are elated at the fact that the school is being relocated in the Heights neighborhood we all grew up in. There may be some here today that may not know that 20 years ago my dad had a dream. That dream became his vision. And in 1993 dad’s dream, dad’s vision, became a reality,” Treviño said.

Treviño also talked about how the new VMT campus will have access to a high-quality and well-rounded education.

“An education that is accorded by the state-of-the-art technology, equipment and other resources in modern facilities that are designed to address the various talents and aspirations of students in a 21st century learning community,” he said.

Construction is expected to be finished and buildings move-in ready by August 2015.