A state- and nationally recognized student newspaper

‘Our kids deserve the best’

June 1, 2016

The Magnet Tribune: Mario Rodriguez

This angle represents some of the school’s and country’s modern architecture. This is taken from the cafeteria courtyard towards B Building.

Superintendent Dr. A Marcus Nelson explained his vision for the new campus in an e-mail.

“As the superintendent of schools for Laredo ISD, I recognize the contributions of the late Vidal M. Trevino to our school district. This was his vision.  I’m honored to carry on his vision for the students of Laredo ISD.  Anyone who remembers his commitment to education, knows that I share his passion for equity in education. Our kids deserve the best so that they can be prepared to graduate from high school and attend the college of their choice, start a career, or join the military,” he said.

Nelson explains some of the challenges faced in the school’s design.

The building of the Treviño Magnet School was a team effort.”

— Dr. A. Marcus Nelson

“Public schools across Texas have gone through some financially challenging times. LISD wanted to make sure sufficient funding was set aside for all the costs associated with building a new campus.  I am very grateful that the LISD Board of Trustees worked diligently to make this new campus a reality.  I also thank the voters of LISD for entrusting us with the resources to construct the new buildings.  Once we selected the location at the former First Baptist Church, we also wanted to make sure that we optimized all the square footage made available to us.  We even made use of an existing building which was incorporated into the new edifice seamlessly,” Nelson said.

He explained how he felt towards the new school.

“I am very proud to have this facility centrally located in the Heights neighborhood. I am honored to have worked with the LISD Construction Department, architects, construction company, contractors, and staff to complete this project on time and under budget.  I am also very fortunate to work with the LISD Board of Trustees who take facilities planning so seriously.  I look forward to the hundreds of performances in the new school and watch our students shine in a way that makes us all proud,” he said.

Nelson explains what the award means to him, teachers and staff.

“The building of the Treviño Magnet School was a team effort,” Nelson said. “For people outside of our district to recognize our collaboration is very satisfying. It would not have happened without many people’s input and time.”