A state- and nationally recognized student newspaper

‘Candidates’ react to the debate

November 11, 2015

The Magnet Tribune: Daniel Flores

Emilio Hinojosa, playing the part of Donald Trump, discusses an issue at Rock the Vote.

Students who portrayed candidates discussed their roles in the mock debate afterwards during a vote on the patio next to the cafeteria.

Many teens believe that because they are so young, their votes don’t matter, but when asked if Rock the Vote could change teens’ perspectives on voting Olgin (Fiorina) stated, “An event like this will show teens that every vote does count. Like I said, you could be rich, you could be poor, you could be white, black. Every vote counts because we’re all citizens of the United States.”

Treviño (Clinton) responded with, “No matter what age we are, we shouldn’t feel that our ideas or our ideals or thoughts or our implications on anything doesn’t matter. It does matter. We all matter.”

Hinojosa (Trump) answered, “You know, really every vote, it doesn’t matter the age. All votes are weighted the same…”

Lastly, Guajardo (Sanders) noted the following: “Their voice does matter. That’s the reason why the voting age is so young, because the government knows that their voice does matter, but they don’t exercise their voice enough. And I believe that an event like this will hopefully motivate them to get out and make some real political change…”

According to voting results, Sanders won with 142 votes or 72% of the total, followed by Clinton with 43 votes (22%). Trump and Fiorina each had 6 votes (3%).

“It’s our job as adults to show them the importance of why their vote does count and with the 2008 election, when Obama was elected, so many young adults went to the polls and it showed that significance there,” Social Studies instructor Sylvia Flores, who helped organize the event, said.