A state- and nationally recognized student newspaper

Juniors are taking college English

October 6, 2014

Dual Enrollment college English students work on essays at VMT. From left, Laura Coleman, Ayesha McCaulley, and Peter Contreras.

The Magnet Tribune: Esmeralda Martinez

Juniors that are new to Dual Enrollment will find it challenging, said Gerardo Flores, AP English III teacher and supervisor for the students in Dual Enrollment.

Taking an English college course is not for slackers. You have to be on the ball.”

— Peter Contreras

According to Flores, the students taking college English 1301 seem to be doing well so far. As of early October, they only have a few grades due to the fact that college barely started. Students have been working on different types of essays.

Students are taken to Laredo Community College at 3:15 p.m. and they’re brought back at 5:00 p.m.

“It’s a rough schedule for the kids because they get back from Dual late and it often interferes with extracurricular activities, but it’s worth the opportunity to earn college credit for free,” Flores said.

When students are not taken to LCC, they stay in class with their supervisor, Flores.

“Some students use the time to work on their fine art because they only take one hour of fine art during the day due to Dual, and they also use the time to read and write their essays,” Flores said.

“Taking an English college course is not for slackers. You have to be on the ball,” said Pedro Contreras, a Dual Enrollment student.

“They (professors) expect more things from you,” said Rene Garza, another Dual Enrollment student. “For example, you are expected to know the due dates, and there’s a lot more work.”

Both students said they were proud and honored to be taking an English college class while still in high school.