Two days without a cellphone


The Magnet Tribune: The writer's father

Zoe Alvarez , Staff writer

Morning 1 : I wake up every morning and like to get ready for school while listening to music. It was quite difficult not having my cellphone readily available by my side to play music. I also had to deal with the realization of not having a phone for the entirety of the day, which is must longer and dreadful when without a cellphone. My Generation Z habits were going to be the death of me. Regardless of my unhealthy addictions to my cellphone, I felt less stress and worries. I did not ask myself “where’s my phone?” constantly whilst scanning my surroundings in panic. Instead, I found myself in my car with my backpack ready for school. Nonetheless, it was quite difficult getting accustomed to not being able to check my social media and playing my games on my cellphone. The morning was not as straining due to the fact that I had a tablet to which I could play music. I did face the frustration and acceptance of not being able to listen to music on my way to class.

Afternoon 1: Lunchtime came around and I found myself not worrying about the location of my cellphone because I did not have it with me. I did not constantly check where it was. I managed to survive my last two classes only missing my phone when I needed to listen to music. I entertained myself by writing and hanging out with friends. After school was not as difficult as I kept close to friends. It was a challenge patiently waiting for my father to leave work and pick me up from school once all my friends were left as I didn’t have a phone to entertain myself with. The school was almost desolate, and I was mentally exhausted and craving my phone to numb my thoughts. The moment of loneliness followed by the lack of my cellphone as a security blanket to avoid embarrassment and awkwardness was truly the worst.

Evening 1: The evening was the hardest. I survived the day, yet nighttime was a much different story. I felt withdrawal. I felt irritable and annoyed. I missed not being able to scroll through Instagram and unwind. I missed texting friends and listening to music while I laid in bed. While many could recommend reading and homework, these were the last few days of school before the summer therefore there were no assignments anymore. I found no purpose in the night and decided to just fall asleep. School had kept my mind and self busy but the freedom to do whatever I pleased at home made it tricky not to miss my phone.

Morning 2: The second morning was much more difficult. I had to dress for school in an uncomfortable silence. It was more than a bland start to the day. Waiting to drive to school was rather boring and annoying. I felt aggressive and snapped at whatever made me slightly upset. It was my moment to see new content on Instagram and play my games but it was missing. I managed lasting in my morning classes. I missed my cellphone.

Afternoon 2: Lunch was relaxing with good food but the creeping thoughts of cellphones had clouded my mind. My afternoon classes were not as challenging as I thought they would be. The second day brought the realization that as the days passed, the harder it was to live without my phone. I’ll admit I do have a strong persisting urge to always have my cellphone. All this only on the second day. My last class consisted of my father calling multiple teachers to contact me. He wouldn’t answer his personal cell and I had no clue what his work number was. I waited anxiously wondering what was so important that he needed to call the school. My thoughts ranged from: Did something happen to someone? Am I in trouble for something? Did something bad happen to Mom? He then called my teacher to tell me that my mother would pick me up after school. After school was terrifying. I had no way to communicate with my mother who was picking me up. I did not know where to go or where to be. I feared upsetting her. Once she did, she told me she was expecting me at a different location. Not having a cellphone was really killing me.

Evening 2: The evening was more eventful and not as bland. I had volunteering and was able to hang out with friends. It was much harder once the fun was over and I was home without a cellphone. I really began to hate not being able to text friends. Like the previous night, I decided to fall asleep to kill the boredom before it became too unbearable.

The day after I was able to get my phone after two days of surviving without it. It was a bittersweet experience that consisted of my worst withdrawals and best cellphone-free moments.