What makes a best friend?

Norma Garza, Staff Writer

A best friend is someone who you can go to at any time of the day. It does not matter if it is four in the morning or seven o’clock at night. If you need your best friend, they are there. A best friend will be there to hold your hand through the good and the bad.

A best friend is someone who does not judge you. If you decide to dye your hair a different color or try to make a “fashion statement”, a best friend can only smile and support your decision. Even when those decisions are not so smart like going back to that guy who is constantly breaking your heart.

A best friend is someone you can trust your secrets with. Even when you planned to not tell them about what happened the night before. Just by looking at you, your best friend knew something was wrong and of course you told them what happened.

A best friend is someone who will let you sob your eyes out and rant about how sucky life is. They will let you get all your anger and sadness out until you are better. A best friend knows what will help you through those hard times. A hug, a smile, a bowl of ice cream, a marathon of musicals, your favorite artist’s music on repeat.

A best friend is someone who is not afraid to tell you the truth. A best friend knows what is good for you. Now you can argue with them all you want but they see the truth when you choose not to. A best friend will tell you he is wrong for you but you thought you could change him, didn’t you?

A best friend is someone you share your laughter with. Inside jokes and sarcasm are at the root of your friendship. There is never a dull moment with them. You can be making a complete fool out of yourself but it is okay because your best friend is being a complete fool with you as well.

A best friend is someone who knows you inside and out. A best friend knows when you have something important to tell them. A best friend knows when you are annoyed by someone or something. A best friend knows when it is THAT time of the month. There is nothing you can really get away with because your best friend knows you better than you know yourself.

If you are blessed to have a best friend and we all have one; some of us are truly blessed and have more than one, do not forget to return the favor of the gift of friendship. Be the best friend that they are to you.

I am grateful to have found my own little group of best friends. I do not know how I could have made it through the past four years of high school without them. I love each and every one of them with all my heart and I am undeniably lucky to have found them.