Documentary explores the life of a journalism student

The Magnet Tribune: Lesdy Hernandez
Kayla Gonzalez is one of two students being filmed by New York City filmmakers. She is shown working during a recent 6th block class.

Lesdy Hernandez, Staff Writer

Kayla Gonzalez, a VMT student, was chosen to be part of Miguel Drake-McLaughlin and Jillian Schlesinger, NYC directors, new project.

“We were looking for a place to sit in the cafeteria when they walked up to us and asked if they could film us for the whole day,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzales, whose fine arts area is journalism/online media, and Julie Martinez, in flute, were filmed going to their classes located at their home school, Martin High, and at VMT.

“They told Julie and I that they were only going to film us for the day, but then they ended up following us around daily,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez would have to explain to her friends and peers every time someone asked why she was being filmed, so she would explain it the best possible way.

‘’I would tell them that it was because I was famous, but really I would tell them that they wanted to record the life of a teenager in Laredo,” Gonzalez explained.

Gonzalez’s family didn’t have much to say about it.

“They just asked what it was about. They really didn’t care or mind,” Gonzalez said.

I would tell them that it was because I was famous, but really I would tell them that they wanted to record the life of a teenager in Laredo.”

— Kayla Gonzalez

Gonzalez added that the whole experience was very “awkward.”

“They would take close-ups on everything we would do like when we were eating or doing our work. It was very awkward,” Gonzalez said.

The students were able to get to know McLaughlin and Schlesinger in the middle of filming.

“They are very nice people and whenever we weren’t filming we would just sit and talk and get to each other. We even got to meet their baby,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez recalled one particular moment they shared with the directors.

“After a long day of filming Miguel and Jillian actually took us out to eat, and we were able to take a break, talk and laugh. It was a very nice of them,” Gonzalez said.

The documentary is not only about their lives during school, but it is also about their lives out of the classroom.

“They filmed us going to Julie’s house and she wanted me to dye her hair and we made a huge mess. We ended up putting on face masks of different colors and my boyfriend came over, but he really wasn’t helping out he was just making a mess. Jillian and Miguel were laughing along with us the whole time, and it was really fun,” Gonzalez explained.

Filming is said to resume during October, she said.