Senior art student recognized in National Hispanic Recognition Program

Senior art student Catalina Berry received the Nation Hispanic Scholar Recognition.

The Magnet Tribune: Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez, Staff Writer

Three seniors from VMT were recently named in the National Hispanic Recognition Program. Catalina Berry, a senior in visual arts, is one of those three students.

She qualified for this program because she met the requirements, the top two being: be of at least one-quarter Hispanic/Latino descent and scoring high on the PSAT.

“I didn’t even know about the National Hispanic Recognition Program,” Berry said, adding she felt pretty honored to know she made the list.

NHRP does not provide a financial reward, but being named is an important academic recognition, and this achievement should be noted on college applications and scholarships, according to the website.

Most scholarship applications require students to submit their SAT scores. The higher the score, the more likely one is to earn a scholarship. Adding NHRP recipient betters chances as well.

“When I applied for the Gates Scholarship, there was a box to check if you are a National Hispanic Scholar,” Berry added.

The National Hispanic Recognition Program mails certificates in September to the student’s home. Berry received hers at home while her dad was present with her. She stated that her dad’s reaction was being proud, while hers was neutral.

“I kinda already expected it,” Berry said.

Berry mentioned the NHRP took the score of her very first SAT.

I didn’t even know about the National Hispanic Recognition Program.”

— Catalina Berry

“I know my scores could have been better if I had used Kahn Academy (an online tutoring service) earlier, so yes, practice,” she stated.

Berry recommends everybody practice before going to take the SATs.