Communication students see trends in journalism

Jesus Hernandez, Staff Writer

VMT broadcast, print journalism, and creative writing students saw a ribbon-cutting ceremony re-opening Texas State University’s Trinity Building that now houses the newly combined student radio station and newspaper during their 13th annual Mass Communication Week trip on Oct. 27.

VMT students were given a tour of the Trinity Building where they saw the combined KTSW-FM and The University Star.

When asked the advantages of combining the radio station and newspaper, Dr. Judy Oskam, the university’s director of journalism and mass communication, said the trend is to publish across media platforms.

“It really provides a lot of opportunities for collaboration. So I think what you’re going to do is see joint projects, joint concerts, and joint special events. So I think you’ll see more collaborate projects on both of their online properties,” Oskam said.

Combining the radio and newspaper will not only benefit the organizations themselves but also the students working and studying in these organizations, the newspaper’s editor said.

“Combining the newsrooms has really created an environment where of all of the different elements of news, from video to radio to print has all been able to come together and so we’ve been able to learn more about things that we wouldn’t be able to know about if we weren’t combined with them,” said Emily Sharp, editor in chief of The University Star.

I like the environment. It’s very peaceful and welcoming.”

— Maddie Dion

“It’s been able to give us all different type of people, and they all have different skills and being able to just have a bigger base and bigger support has really created a good environment to produce really quality news,” Sharp added.

Sharp has been at Texas State for two years. She transferred from the University of Oklahoma where she was a social media coordinator. At Texas State, she has been website editor, managing editor and finally editor in chief.

Early in the day, some students heard presentations at the Old Main building where presenter Gary Cooper of Univision in San Antonio talked about his experiences as a reporter. Other students heard from speaker Elaine Aradillas where she talked about her experiences working at People magazine.

Later, VMT students participated in a panel discussion with Laredo students now at Texas State where they gave advice and tips on college life and their experiences.

Students also visited a university residence hall where a student employee gave information as well as showed an example of a dormitory room.

One student said he enjoys going on these Texas State trips.

“Well, since I’m in interested in journalism as something I want to do in the future, I think it’s nice to see what view it has,” senior creative writing student Andrew Perez said.

Junior print journalism student Maddie Dion, who’s interested in attending Texas State and studying journalism, said she felt at peace when seeing the surroundings at the university.

“I like the environment. It’s very peaceful and welcoming,” Dion said.