Annual event offers city-wide participation

Melissa Guevara, left, Jennifer Rangel, partially blocked, and instructor Jamin Teran work on a video project. Teran is the founder and organizer of the Laredo HS Media and Film Festival, scheduled for March 17 and 18.

The Magnet Tribune: Cassandra Gonzalez

Cassandra Gonzalez, Staff Writer

A project a teacher began to help her students “unleash” their stories has become a city-wide event.

After last year’s turnout which was described as good, radio-television broadcasting instructor Jamin Teran has high expectations for the next Laredo HS Media and Film Festival on March 17 and 18.

The theme of this year’s festival is “Unleash your Story.”

Local schools are even more involved and eager to compete, Teran said.

She said a United High School teacher told her they would take this year’s trophy.

Teran explained her expectation of this year’s workshop.

“We’ll have more kids that will be involved and a good group of presenters,” Teran said.

Several presenters are already scheduled to speak include Sammy the House ­­of radio station 106.1 FM; Emmy Award-winning reporter Rebecca Aguilar of Dallas; and Danni Johnson, who will speak on photography and video composition.

Workshops offered at the festival include different speakers talking about their profession, radio and television broadcasting, gaming, and film.

According to the festival poster, students can win “epic prizes” that include audio/visual software and accessories, and take part in contest for PSAs, short films, and feature stories.

“The festival gives you the chance to ‘unleash your story’ for you to express who you are,” Teran said.

Teran hopes these would help out the community by giving students the chance to “preform” their art.

“You have all these other arts that actually perform. They get to present. My kids don’t exactly have an opportunity for performance,” Teran said why she founded the festival.