Piano student earns National Hispanic Scholar recognition

Luis Bravo practices in the Urbahn Building in May 2014.

The Magnet Tribune: Brandon Gamez

Brandon Gamez, Staff Writer

Senior piano student Luis Bravo was recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar by the Hispanic Recognition Program, fueled by the College Board.

The National Hispanic Scholarship required entries to have a score above the 97th percentile on the PSAT and students had to have one of the highest PSAT scores in their region, which would be compared to national scores.

“It was actually pretty cool to get the recognition because it came right at the time when I was feeling down on myself because I was looking at all these other applicants at the college I want to go to, and then you get this recognition and it’s like ‘oh that’s kinda cool’. It made me feel kind of up to par so it was a really nice feeling,” Bravo said.

Bravo explained what the Hispanic Recognition is about.

“Hispanic Scholar is part of the Hispanic Recognition Program run by the College Board. What it is (is) sophomore year and junior year you take the PSAT; if you score at the top 97th percentile and are one of the 5,000 top students chosen you get recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar,” Bravo said.

A friend explained to Bravo of what he needed to know about the recognition, he said.

“Actually it was through a lot of prior research, and nobody could really confirm what it actually was. I had heard from a friend who was the valedictorian 2 years ago at J.W. Nixon High School who had the same accomplishments so he told me the requirements and what I had to do,” Bravo said.

According to the College Board’s website, the National Hispanic Recognition Program identifies academically outstanding Hispanic high school students. Each year, the NHRP honors about 5,000 of the highest-scoring students from over 250,000 Hispanic/Latino juniors who take the PSAT or NMSQT.

Bravo explained the importance of the PSAT that many students overlook.

“Prepare for it. I think as a sophomore and junior you don’t understand the PSAT is important, and it would be easy to brush it off and overlook it, but if you take that time it can really pay off later on,” he said.

Bravo urged sophomores and juniors that doing the best in their courses and taking their time on the PSAT can help them have a better opportunity to be chosen.

Looking ahead, Bravo applied to and was accepted to the University of Pennsylvania and expects to graduate in 2019.

“I’m part of the 2019 class, and I am already prepared for it. I want to be a Sociology major so definitely my history courses, my math courses, and my science courses,” will come in handy, he said.