‘Wendy Davis’ wins mock election at Rock the Vote (package)

Jazmin Campos

Krysta Robles, Staff Writer

Two students debated for the title at Rock the Vote on October 23 with the student portraying Wendy Davis coming out ahead with 78 percent of the vote.

Rock the Vote took place at St. Peters Plaza and consisted of persuading seniors and people over 18 to vote, and a mock election.

One of the things used to persuade seniors to vote was a mock debate for governor between two students, Marco Guajardo as Davis and Luis Bravo as Greg Abbot.

The themes, or questions, consisted of education, immigration, affordable healthcare, welfare, and voting ID requirements. Both contestants had a valid argument, but the audience seemed to love what Guajardo had to say.

Guajardo, “Wendy Davis,” received over three-fourths of the voting participants.

“Welfare is a very touchy subject. There is a struggle that people face for those on welfare when you see others abuse the system. We all have heard stories of people trying to abuse food stamps. I get it, but for a moment forget all your prejudices against all minority people, and look at the facts. In Texas 17.4 percent people live below the poverty line and 677 thousand people are unemployed. Think of the issues all those 677 thousand people faced. Think of how hard it will be for those 17.4 percent of people to get back on their feet. That’s what the welfare system is about. It’s about helping people, and it’s about spreading goodwill. We don’t want those people to lose their homes or their dignity. I know for a fact that there is at least one person here in this crowd that has been helped by welfare benefits. Let’s extend that to all those in need. Let’s bring all those numbers down to 0,” Guajardo said.

Bravo, “Greg Abbott,” responded with, “It is not uncommon to hear about individuals abusing their Lone Star welfare money on junk food because junk food id considerably cheaper than healthier food. This creates problems. One, many abuse welfare and two, the lack of access to nutritional meals. The way I would address the welfare system is to change to a ration system similar to WIC. In other words, instead of having money directly to use for one’s needs, we will provide coupons and food vouchers food. For example, one gets a voucher for three gallons of milk and whoever is in possession of that voucher can go to a local food market and pick up three gallons of pre-approved nutritionally beneficial milk. The products, however, will not be limited and will be a variety of dietary necessities such as cereal, rice, and poultry. This way not only are we solving a welfare problem that limits the people that are unable to use the welfare system, but assure that everyone has access to safe, healthy, and nutritional meals.”

After the mock debate, the students from VMT, Martin, Nixon, and Cigarroa got up and voted. There were four voting booths, and students used a real ballot for local, state, and national races. While the voting was taking place students and faculty bands played rock music.

“The importance of Rock the Vote is give awareness to students as to why it is important to vote, and with the mock debate it gives the students what each party is fighting for, or the views of every party,” Sylvia Velasco, Social Studies  instructor and event organizer, said about the importance and meaning of Rock the Vote.

“I liked everything about it, of course, but the students really liked the music, and the photo booths, and the food. They just really liked it. The debate was really good this year. I know those are things that got everybody’s attention,” Velasco said.

“It went really well, actually, and took a lot of planning, but at the end, it was a really good turnout and very successful,” Velasco said.