First year at VMT is her first year teaching

New VMT Social Studies instructor Aemiee Martinez.

The Magnet Tribune: Victoriano Garcia

Krysta Robles

Krysta Robles, Staff Writer

Aemiee Martinez is in her first year teaching at VMT.

“The students are very creative, and they are very fortunate to have a school that encourages them to be creative,” Martinez said.

Martinez talked about the students, including her own. She strongly believes that having students that are creative could lead the students to having leadership.

She said being adaptable is a strong poing.

“I have to say my strongest strength is flexibility. Since I am new, a lot of the times I plan, but things never go my way and being flexible and thinking on my feet has kept me sane,” Martinez says. “What I’ve learned about myself is that I’m extremely patient.”

Martinez said teaching is very stressful, but having the ability to think on her feet has helped her keep organized.

“My teaching philosophy is that want to make history and also social studies fun for my kids. I think by letting them know that the decisions that other people are making and have made in the past are what brings them to what they are today. I think by making it relevant, students will find that it isn’t so boring and so my mission is to make them know that this stuff affects them and also let them know that they have everything to shape their lives and futures,” Martinez said.

The students are very creative, and they are very fortunate to have a school that encourages them to be creative.”

— Aemiee Martinez

She said she likes what she sees in the students.

“I think my students are very talented. I feel like there is so much potential here for our future leaders. Extremely smart, extremely outgoing and I am very lucky because I think we have the best Laredo can offer,” Martinez said.

Martinez talks about her students and the students that don’t belong to her, too.

“I think the students are talented, and that they are very fortunate to have a school that encourages them to be creative. I’m very honored to be here. I love the staff, I love the students, and I really do think that the arts is something, as a nation, we keep moving away from, so to have a place in Laredo that encourages them to be creative and also excel academically is a real jewel. We are really fortunate to have something like this here,” Martinez said.