The Book Look — Crank: Honor roll student overcomes her addictions

Crank, a New York Times best seller, was written by Ellen Hopkins.

The Magnet Tribune: publisher

“Crank,” a New York Times best seller, was written by Ellen Hopkins.

Belen Silva, The Book Look Columnist

In Ellen Hopkins novel “Crank,” she tells the story of straight-A honor roll student Kristina Georgia  being introduced to the monster, or “crank” (methamphetamine), and her battle against it.

The story starts with Kristina visiting her father in Albuquerque for a summer. Though her father is never home to spend some “quality time” with his daughter she finds some of her own comapny.

This book is not only about Kristina trying over come her addictions, but her struggles as a teenager as well.”

— Belen Silva, The Book Look reviewer

She meets Adam, who later in the book convinces Kristina to try crank. Crank quickly turns into an obsession and she starts to let the monster run through her veins, rufusing to let it out. When Kristina is under the influence of crank she feels as if she is a completely different person. A person who feels like she’s happily floating through life with the idea of being limtiless. This new person the crank has created inside of Krisitina has formed itself a new name, and her name is Bree.

Bree is the voice inside her mind forcing her to continue her needing obsession.

After her visit with her father and starting a relationship with Adam, she returns to her home back in Reno, taking her crank addiction with her.

Every waking moment she tries to figure out ways to obtain crank, and keep the secret from her family.

Then she meets Brendan, a lifeguard at swimming pool, whom she starts to have a “friends with crank benefits” relationship. One night, Brendan takes Kristina to the woods. Kristina refuses which causes Brendan to become angry saying he “waited for weeks,” then he rapes her.

When Brendan drops off Kristina at her house he demand to be paid for the crank he sold to Kristina. A few weeks later Kristina discovers she is pregnant and the baby’s father is Brendan. She has no other choice than to tell her parents about the baby, and regrettably, her crank addiction.

This book is not only about Kristina trying over come her addictions, but her struggles as a teenager as well. This book was loosely based about the author’s daughter who also had a crank addiction and is now recovering. This novel shows the importance of how dangerous and hard it can be to be enslaved by the monster.