A state- and nationally recognized student newspaper

The Bug: The toll of the 45th president

February 21, 2018

Donald Trump is a person who made my perspective on my country and its government shift in every way. He is a politician who does not act as he should but is still the president of the best country in the world.

Being a young and careless person, I never paid attention to all the boring and long political facts that were shown to me. It was nothing but a new leader for my country being elected. The least of my concerns was who was a Democratic or a Republican or how polls work: nothing in politics mattered to me. This all changed when Trump targeted the Hispanic-Latino community during his campaign. I am a part of this ethnicity, a young and determined citizen seeking a better tomorrow.

As time passed his aggressive, inhuman, discriminatory, and unethical campaign sparked a fire within me. It offended me to the point where I became infuriated at the fact he was still an eligible candidate.

I remember the night before the announcement of our 45th president, I prayed so much. Prayed that the next day all our fears would not become a reality.  I thought about all he said towards certain ethnic groups and felt completely saddened if he were to win and come through will all his proposals to fix what he disagreed with. Though, I did think it was nonsense that American citizens would actually elect someone like him to be our president. November 8 is the day we would have been satisfied or devastated by the outcome of the presidential election.

After not getting rest all night, I jumped out of bed half-asleep and rushed to turn on my television. The urge that I had to see the results was so fearful and nerve-wracking that I could hardly hold my breath. Stuck between not knowing what to expect, I was optimistic that the outcome would be in my favor. However, it wasn’t. Trump was elected to be president, something I was not expecting to happen. November 8, 2016, was the day we all knew everyone, and everything would be at risk. This also meant my community would be thrown onto a tough, bumpy, and unsteady roller coaster ride due to his success.

As tears rolled down my cheeks, I felt an ache in my heart. My first thought was all the families that would be torn apart because of him, including my own. There are illegal immigrants in my family that play important roles in my life. Knowing that they would be deported during his presidency made me realize how much Trump would affect me. It was a despairing feeling that I knew millions around the U.S. felt as well. I hoped that over time he would somehow find some compassion in his heart and not take such an aggressive approach towards fixing these immigration issues.

After staring at the news hoping it was all a joke, I went downstairs and saw my mom sitting there in complete disbelief. We hugged each other so tightly and tried to keep a positive mindset as we bawled our eyes out slowly. Although we were not anxious to go on through the day we had to, so my mom and I began to get ready. It didn’t matter to us how tired and down we looked. What mattered was that our family would be torn apart in the days or months to come after his election.

On our way to school, we talked about how disappointed and shocked we felt. With the volume up high, we heard multiple radio stations talking about the election and their personal opinions. I felt like yelling into the radio to some but agreed with others.

The ride to school felt eternal. As I sat there, I thought it was crazy how everyone has their own unique perspectives. How all these different opinions are somehow supposed to be combined to elect our president.

I could not even imagine the disappointment, rage, and negative comments that everyone would be expressing on social media. As soon as I opened the apps everything I saw was bound to happen. Trump was the big talk on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. that day and weeks to follow. It was so sad to see how many people became unpatriotic after this marked time in history. Coming from a very patriotic family, it was disappointing to see that America would come to this, electing Trump.

I knew that school would be another one for the books with everyone being against him. The atmosphere was already filled with fear and anger knowing that we would all someday have to be led by the man we least wanted.

I remember walking into class and seeing some of my classmates struck with terror. Hearing the reasons behind their fear was just what I expected. Trump was affecting us and there was no way out of it. Their frowns were hard to watch because for them it was not just an aunt or uncle like in my case. It was their parents, the people they depend on the most.

The vibes on election day in a border town put a big toll on us that day as many students did not even attend school.

There were times throughout the day where I would stop and think about all my hopes, and aspirations to be someone. I felt that if he won, they would all be flushed down the drain because of where I come from and whom I am. They would not only be crushed by Trump, but rather by others who see his actions as a correct and ethical way to “make America great again.”

Finally, the long, dreadful, and surprising day came to an end. We went home and came to an understanding that there was nothing we could do about it anymore but accept and move on. Although he had won and accomplished his goal, we knew Trump was out for more.

Knowing that challenging days were yet to come, I was a Hispanic-Latino in bed, doing exactly what some others all over the country were doing. I thought about what was in store next just the way I did the night before. The memory of seeing everyone in fear replayed in my head and each time my heart ached a little more. It hurt me that I could do nothing to fix it but watch and be ready for what the future had in store. There was no thought in my head besides the election of President Trump that resided in my head that day and the following.

Until this day, it still shocks me that he is the president of my country. This is a day that will forever be a broken piece in our hearts. A day that brought joyful tears to many illegal and legal people in the U.S but horrifying ones to many more.