A state- and nationally recognized student newspaper

Opinion: Society has the option of abortion

April 11, 2016

Pro-choice

To be pro-choice is to believe that a woman has the right to control her own body, have the right to end a pregnancy and favoring the legalization of abortion. Whereas pro-life is the belief that a fetus should be born despite any challenges or concerns. Nowadays, the nation is almost evenly divided between those who do and don’t think abortion should be legal.

Personally, I am pro-choice. I believe a woman has the right to decide whether she will or will not conceive a child. As society progresses and modernizes itself throughout the years, women have been able to gain equality and rights. To keep abortion legalized would be another step towards obtaining another right that women deserve. A legal abortion might be needed when it comes to certain situations. For example, if a young girl was raped and left pregnant, the young girl wouldn’t be able to handle a situation like that. A baby demands attention and money; something a family with an unexpected baby could not deliver. In this situation, it would be best to terminate the pregnancy. However, I do not think every abortion is okay. If a woman is constantly having children and keeps having abortions, I do not think it would be fine in this situation. I do think abortion should be legal, but not to the point where woman can take advantage of this right.

Furthermore, many would argue that abortion would bring upon more problems to a woman’s body than it would solve, when in fact less than 0.3% of pregnancies have complications. Most people have come to believe that an abortion would increase a woman’s chance of having breast cancer. This is not the case though, it has been found that having an abortion has no correlation to getting breast cancer.

To keep abortion legalized does not only mean to keep the practice legal, but to make it accessible as well. However, a recent Texas law that was proposed and enacted has shut down about half of all abortion clinics in Texas, making it harder than ever for women in Texas to have abortions performed. This is taking a step backwards. Women should have the right to access an abortion clinic and shouldn’t have to go through even more trouble to access one.

It’s happened before, when a young girl or woman wants to get an abortion but can’t because there is not a hospital to accept her to make the abortion possible. For abortion to truly be legal, more clinics and/or hospitals have to be constructed in order for women to have the abortion that is needed.

One cannot control what a woman can and can’t do with their own body. If a woman decides it is truly necessary to terminate a pregnancy, I believe they have all the right to do so. This is just my opinion. So, are you pro-life or pro-choice?