A state- and nationally recognized student newspaper

Many teens face challenges in high school

March 14, 2016

High school, 4 years that have a big impact on your life. These are the years that are engraved in your head forever. This is where most of our grades get lower each week, and our parents believe we don’t have a single care in the world. Here is the place where people say it’s the time when you loose the most friends but make the best ones. Where things get more challenging and you feel like the stress is never ending. Where we should have the most fun and enjoy our last years as being teenagers. It is where we grow up and find out who we are and what we want to do with our lives. But most importantly it’s the years full of memories that nobody can take away from you.

So, it is the first day of high school and your heart is racing since it’s just a new atmosphere, new people, pretty much everything around you feels out of place including yourself. You are standing there looking so lost trying to find looking your new classes just like any other freshman since it’s a new campus. You see all these people around you that you don’t recognize and it’s just a different feeling.

Weeks pass by and you feel like everything just seems so perfect and that it isn’t as bad as you thought it would be. You wonder why people always said high school was the worst or rather the best times of their lives. Why they said things that still haven’t made sense to you.

I always thought the majority of the friendships I had would remain strong. Just the way it is in most of the movies I’ve watched. Where everyone sticks together through the good and the bad. But the truth is that now at days, reality is not like that. Now I see so many people who used to be best friends pass each other by and act like complete strangers. I personally have ended and lost friendships and it feels so different. Everyone seems to just go their separate ways either with their “group” of people or choosing different paths for themselves. It is sad that things turn out this way because many of us do not see this type of change heading our way. We feel like our group of friends won’t ever be separated but in the end, it slips our mind and just happens. Many people change and loose their strongest friendships just to fit in and be someone that they aren’t. I feel as if we let society get the best of us.

Then there are the grades that are like roller coasters, always going up and down. We all have different expectations for ourselves, some are low but most are high. None of us want to take school seriously now because all we think of is having fun and living to our fullest. I have come to realize that in 3 years I plan to attend college and it isn’t going to be given to me if I don’t take my education seriously. When you think of it that is what high school education is. Being capable to maintain your grades and behavior so you’ll be able to get into college of your choice and become successful. I do not enjoy coming to school, waking up early in the morning, spending 8 hours listening to teachers talk and hand out work. But that is the way it is and majority of us dislike attending school but we come anyways because it is a priority. I strongly believe that what keeps us going is knowing that someday we will complete school and it is going to be worth all the hard work and stress. Soon we will all go our complete separate ways and start a new chapter in our lives and be glad we got an education.

With all the negatives that we dislike about high school, there also comes the positive. I personally have enjoyed having so many opportunities that I never thought I would have. Without all these things we don’t enjoy much, high school would just be another 4 years in the book. It is not the end of my high school journey, but as I go on I hope that these will be some of the best times of my life. In fact, I just might like what high school is shaping me into.