Observations: 81 days out of 365

The Magnet Tribune: Delilah Gonzalez
View from the top floor of the ferry ride at Galveston.

Delilah Gonzalez, Observations Columnist

June 4th was the last school day of my sophomore year. My friends are happy because it was the last day of school, and sad at the same time because we’re not going to see each other till the next school year.

I was anxious to know if I passed to 11th grade. It was 4:00 p.m. and the teachers let us out early. I hugged every friend that I saw after school and wished them the best summer. My mother went for me at school and I showed her my report card. I started screaming from happiness because I made it to the next level. I was glad to see my mother’s smile and watery eyes. She was so proud of my hard work and dedication to school.

My summer starts the very next day. We celebrated that I passed to 11th grade and my older sister passed to 11th grade, too, and that my younger sister passed to 9th grade. We went out for dinner and off to the movies we went. About a week later my aunt arrives in Laredo from Salt Lake City for a visit.

June 6th we saw my aunt at my grandmother’s place with my younger cousin. We talked, laughed, joked around after so many years without seeing each other. No words can explain how excited we were to see them.

It was a beautiful experience. The weather was perfect and the wind was fresh. Water was hitting our face. We got off the boat and we went to the island there in Galveston.”

— Delilah Gonzalez

My aunt took me and my sisters and my cousin to the movies to watch my favorite scary movie, “Unfriended.” I sat next to my cousin. We were eating candy and some popcorn. It was so hilarious how my cousin got scared. I couldn’t stop laughing for his silly reaction.

Then while I was laughing a scene where a door was slammed and lights were off got me scared. My cousin started laughing at me. No, it wasn’t funny!

I enjoyed the movie with my family; it was the best. It wasn’t that scary but it was a great movie. We had dinner and ended the amazing day.

My aunt invited me to a little road trip. It was just my cousin, my aunt and I on June 26. We went to Houston and Galveston, too. To be honest I had never been to Houston or Galveston in my life. I felt spoiled and loved when she invited me.

It was a 4-day road trip but for me it felt like a week of being away from Laredo. We left from Laredo around 11:30 a.m. and got to Houston around 5:30 p.m. and went to rest. We ate dinner that same day and agreed to begin exploring Houston the next morning.

We started exploring at 8:00 in the morning. After that we went to many stores and some other big stores. We went to the flea market. It was big and there was so much to buy but instead we went to buy an ice-cream cone. And we went back inside to the ballroom where there were people dancing. I loved that place!

That day was a really rainy day. It did spoil our plans so we head back to our place and just spent the day watching comedy movies.

The day wasn’t over yet. Around 10:00 at night my cousin and I started to play his Xbox. We were playing Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto V. We had so much fun; I really enjoy playing Xbox but we had to go to sleep because we had to go to Galveston.

We woke up at 8:30 the next morning to be able to go for a ferry ride. We got there around 9:30 and I saw that we were waiting in line. I thought there was too much traffic, but my aunt said that in the ferry you can take your car, too. I was amazed when the car stopped on the boat. I couldn’t believe it. We got out of the car and went to the very top of the boat.

It was the best cruise. The boat took us across the water and we got off the boat and my aunt drove us to the store. We bought a lot of chips and candies and some Powerades and went back in line again. We were going to go for another trip. It was a beautiful experience. The weather was perfect and the wind was fresh. Water was hitting our faces. We got off the boat and we went to the island there in Galveston.

I saw so many people on tricycles with their friends and family. They would always wave hi to everyone. I felt so comfortable on that island. I raced my cousin to the island and we got in. We started swimming; we threw water at each other (LOL). We saw Galveston Island’s Historic Pleasure Pier and we wanted to go but we instead stayed swimming.

It was getting late so we had to head back home. We were able to explore Galveston and I was satisfied that I was able to go on the ferry trip and the island. The next day, June 29, we started packing to go back home. We went back to Laredo and my summer had been great so far.

On the 4th of July we made a little cookout with the family and enjoyed everybody’s stories and we saw some fireworks lighting up the sky. July was starting off good. We had parties, family events — a get together with friends, and sleepovers at cousins’ houses.

July 8 my family and I went to the park since my aunt’s daughter from Utah came to Laredo for a week so we decided to go to the park. We had a great day and it was nice outside and we spent  flying kites, playing soccer, water balloon fighting and eating sandwiches.

July 23rd was the saddest day for my family and I. We received a call giving us the news that my uncle in Nuevo Laredo had passed away. We had to arrive in Nuevo Laredo to be with the family, to help them with the funeral and went to say our last goodbyes. The funeral took two days and those two days we spent it with the family.

The rest of the days of July we didn’t do anything. We didn’t feel like going out. We were still sad. We still couldn’t believe that my uncle wasn’t here with us anymore.

It was August 9 and my family and I got together. We spent those days by going to McDonalds at 8:00 p.m. and eating ice cream and soft chocolate chip cookies and just spending time together. Yes, we ended up leaving like around 10:00 p.m. We do this twice a month. The cookies from McDonalds sure are the best. They are freshly made and my dad and I enjoy them.

The rest of the days were crazy and tiring having to go to school to get registered and buying school uniforms, shoes, backpacks, and school supplies. It was driving my mom crazy, too. She didn’t have much time to rest and we went from store to store.

School was one week away. I was nervous. It was going to be my junior year and I wasn’t ready for school. But I have faith that it’s going to be a great year. I had all my school supplies ready. I was just maybe missing some uniforms and then we went back to the store. I didn’t really mind because I would spend the whole day with my lovely mother.

August 21st, my sisters and I went over to my aunt’s house who lives few blocks away from my house. We went to have some cousin time, watching a couple of movies and made some burgers. We were also able to sleep over and went home on Saturday afternoon and fixed everything for school on Monday.

Obviously, my summer was the best. I really enjoyed it but these 81 days of summer felt like 40 days. I felt like my summer went by too fast. Waking up in the morning at 8:00 a.m. and then by the time you know it’s already 4:00 p.m. but I can’t complain. I got to travel in summer. I had fun days and really sad ones, too. Now I’m ready to focus on school and give it my all to become a junior next year.