Observations: Stressing and no help given

Elizabeth Flores, Observations Columnist

All my childhood I grew up loving math, I was a nerd, a straight A math genius. I had no problem in passing the subject. I could understand it perfectly, and paying attention to the class was no hassle. However at the middle of 8 grade year I got a bit distracted and went down. Eventually I picked up my grade and passed my test. That year I took algebra one, which counted as a high school credit, which also meant only 3 more years left of math class in high school. And the ugly process began.

Freshmen year, I was in geometry. I passed with commended performance and went on to algebra 2. That class was easy also. Now junior year in Pre-Cal was where the problems started. I was alone in that class filled with lazy, don’t do anything seniors. I turned in to one of them. But somehow I passed the class and again got commended.

Was I so excited for my senior year without a math class (4 math classes are only recommended and I had mine, so there was no need for an extra one.), however when I received my schedule I was furious. I didn’t choose to be put in math class. I did not want a calculus class or worst an AP-Calculus class. I just wanted a year without struggling. However I tried to be somewhat positive about taking the class. I mentally prepared myself for the first day of school.

First week of taking this subject was awful. I received 2 tests on a subject I did not understand and that I was only lectured for about a day. The teacher received a lot of complains but his exact words were.

“Just try and do this. I want to see how much you understand it.” So I expected for this to not be counted against me, but was I wrong.

“This will still count as a test grade,” Was his reply. He received a bunch of negative complains, but hey he deserved it. Why give us an assignment about something we really don’t even know and to top it off count it as a test grade. That was really going to lower everyone’s grades. To my surprise he saw how everyone with confused and lost faces, so he decided to stop everything and change the test to an assignment. Lucky us.

Some of your readers might think that I may be a bit dumb for not dropping the class when I received the schedule. But no people I’m not that dumb, I did try.

That day of picking up schedules for seniors, I couldn’t go, so I went the week after. They did not have my schedule ready. Way to go, counselors! I had to wait about an hour to actually face a counselor; it was going to be a long process. Nevertheless he still did it.

“Alright, your schedules consist of … and calculus… And fifth lunch.” He said.

“Is it really necessary for me to take a math class.?” Was my question. He went on talking about how it’s important to go to college and stuff. He literally did not stop talking, 30 minutes of straight babbling for a yes or no question. So at the end I just stopped him and agreed to take the class. And again was my very small amount of enthusiasm for being in that class. I tried my best to pretend I liked it but I just couldn’t handle it.

What you think guys? She could’ve change the course as soon as she saw problems, and she didn’t because she’s that silly. But wrong again my friends. I did too go talk to the senior counselor that first week, and again I failed at dropping the class.

“You can’t change the course. I know it isn’t a forced class but we recommend you take it.” I talked to her about not liked it, about not understanding anything, about how hard it was for me. But dying of anxiety didn’t seem to convince her that I should get out. “I understand what you’re going through but think about it, if you get out it will bring down your GPA”

Woman it will bring down my GPA because of my failing grades. I don’t understand it! No, I didn’t say that, I just thought about it. I wish I had, maybe that would have changed her mind.

She told me that my parents had to come in order for me to switch the class, that because it was an AP class I had no other choice but to take it. I indeed got mad and even more frustrated. I explained to her that I had never take an AP math class, that if it was possible to change me to a regular calculus class and she’s said no.

Another reason she said no was because she had to change my whole schedule. I didn’t mind at all. The classes I take I don’t even need. Just science, but she was too lazy to just change me a couple of classes. That was illogical. Aren’t counselors supposed to help you out? They are there to give the students support and advice when they feel like collapsing. But all I got from her was an “I don’t want to do anything about your problem, so just try your best” face. Thanks a lot ma’am. I acknowledge that counselor for letting me drown in my own tears as a result of trying to attempt that course.

Now, my next and final attempt will be to bring my parents into this, if they ever have day off. I really don’t know why I have to waste their work time. They are just going to sit there and repeat to her what I already told her. So it will only be a waste of time for all of us.

Hopefully my attempt of taking my parents to her will be accomplished and I no longer will be in the hands of calculus. if not ill mentally prepare myself for one year of torture. Anyhow if I ever do understand most of my work I will come directly to the site and inform everyone that I reached my goal of understanding the course.   But for the meant time, I’ll die slowly of stress and awful grades.

Teachers, counselors, and any school staff members, believe me when I say students need help, and you are their help. Were just scared to face the truth, to say that we are wrong or need help in something. You should understand that we can’t handle a lot of problems. We have to think about our future, about school and personal dilemmas that also need solutions.

Now you come in when we need support. To give out help and receive a happy student that trusts you and knows that when a situation like that happens we will know who to go to. We need someone that understands, listens, and cares for us other than our busy parents. So think about it more, next time you refuse to talk to a student, what the case would be if they were your children.

Before I say good-bye, I just wanted to say that this school year I will be writing the Observation column.  I’m a 17 year old senior attending both Nixon High School and Vidal M. Trevino. You may also know me by the fashion column, which I also write, next to my best friend Jessica Arroyo (also “the Bug” columnist). Hopefully you enjoy these thoughts and ideas.