Students’ opinions vary on local clown threats

Dafne Naranjo, Staff Writer

Nixon High School freshmen have been noticing there are many clown threats going on.

Students that know about this clown threat say they saw it on a Facebook page called Gropo Gonzalez, one of the many clown pages, according to local news reporters.

I worked so hard on a petition to get Dr. Nelson (superintendent) and the administrators to let us wear costumes at school, for them to not throw it all away just because of the clown threats.”

— Natalie Morales

The page had a list of schools and dates that were the ones the clown was going to go; the first school that was on the list was M.B. Lamar Middle School. Instantly, the school had more security added; administrators started taking notice of the threat.

But what many students noticed was that the dates were mixed up, and that the first school the clown was supposed to go to was actually Martin High School.

The next stop was J.W Nixon High School. Straight away the school had security added and also had lockdowns.

“The lights went out during a lunch period,” Jose Castillo said.

He said he took it as a signal, but others took it as a joke.

Jenifer Resendiz said that “It’s all a joke,” but Annalie Miller added, “We shouldn’t be coming to school when all of this is happening.”

LISD told schools that were going to let students dress up for Halloween that wearing costumes, and contests were banned including The Magnet Tribune’s annual contest.

Students are devastated because of this; many are mad.

“I worked so hard on a petition to get Dr. Nelson (superintendent) and the administrators to let us wear costumes at school, for them to not throw it all away just because of the clown threats,” Natalie Morales said.

“They should just put a policy to not wear clown costumes and if they do, send them home to change or give them a referral,” Chloe Ornelas said.

Others think it’s a good idea that administrators don’t let students wear costumes.

“The clown threat was all a joke for students to get out of school most likely, and that they should let us dress up because it’s not our fault that people want to get out of school. They shouldn’t punish the entire LISD district for something as dumb as someone playing a joke,” Emily Vela said.

Many students are mad about restrictions their parents placed on them because of the clown threats.

“We can’t go out because our parents think something might happen to us,” an unidentified student stated.

Jose Castillo said he makes fun of the situation and is making comments about this.

“We aren’t even allowed to hang out at a friend’s house because (parents) think it’s not safe,” he said.