Follies bring out students’ talents

The Magnet Tribune: Olivia Trevino
Student performs at Student Follies 2018 in auditorium on September 26, 2018.

Soleil Perez, Staff Writer

The show ended with a show.

At the end of the morning Student Follies, all the performers came out on stage and sang and danced to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. The audience joined the performers in singing along.

This was the first ever Student Follies created to fundraise for VMT’s summer musical production, organized by Alma Valdez, a Pre-AP English 1 teacher.

“There were over 400 tickets sold so we know it was very successful,” Valdez stated.

The majority of morning students attended the show and VMT’s director, Dr. Martha E. Villarreal, suggested another Student Follies in the spring semester, Valdez said. Students are already rehearsing their acts, Valdez said, but whether there will even be a second one is yet to be confirmed.

“It was a great thing for VMT,” Joel Ayala, a sophomore in theater who was a spectator.

Students dressed up and performed songs by artists from the 70s and 80s which included KISS, Selena, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Madonna and seven more.

Madonna, by Luis Moncayo, was a crowd favorite judging by how the crowd got involved by cheering and clapping. This performance included several of Madonna’s songs, an outfit change, and a performance where he danced with a single chair.

“Everybody did amazing,” and “it was really good,” were some comments from audience members after the show. A similar show was held for afternoon students.

“It was definitely something to look forward to,” Briana Garcia, an 11th grader in theater, stated.

The audience was able to vote for their favorite performance and first, second, and third were given a People’s Choice award. First place: Kevin Sosa and Alexander Mendez who performed “Hey Ya” by Outkast; Second place: Luis Moncayo who performed multiple songs by Madonna; Third place: Paulina De Leon who performed “Si Una Vez” by Selena Quintanilla.