Male face for Maybelline is MannyMua

The Magnet Tribune: Facebook
MannyMua wears Maybelline mascara in an ad on January 25, 2017.

Crystal Martinez, Staff Writer

Just as CoverGirl has its first male face, so does Maybelline.

Manny Gutierrez, also known as MannyMua, is a famous YouTuber. His makeup channel consists of him reviewing beauty products, makeup tutorials and makeup challenges. He has over 2 million subscribers on his YouTube channel.

Manny is a 25 year old that was born and raised in San Diego, California.

I was the first boy that Maybelline ever posted on Instagram or social media, in general, and they were telling me that they had a lot of positive love and feedback and that they really wanted to continue to work with me.”

— Manny Gutierrez

It all started with a decision he made of dropping out of medical school to become a makeup artist. He has been very successful with his decisions, so far.

He first started wearing makeup when he was 21. Gutierrez worked at cosmetic stores including MAC and Sephora.

He has already had two makeup collaborations and has one for this year. One of the makeup collaborations was an eyeshadow palette with Makeup Geek, which is a makeup brand. The other collaboration was with Ofra, another makeup brand, which he made different colored lipsticks with.

He recently became the male face for Maybelline, a drug store makeup brand. The commercial is for a new mascara Maybelline just came out with. It is called The Colossal Big Shot Volum Express mascara.

VMT students discussed how they felt on having male makeup artist MannyMua starring in a Maybelline commercial.

“I love the idea that a male MUA (make-up artist) is more involved in makeup just like females are,” said senior Melissa Garcia.

Garcia also added how she hopes other males get the opportunity to be part of makeup brand commercials.

Senior Stephanie Vazquez said she thinks makeup brand commercials in the future will have more males starring in them.

Vazquez described the Maybelline commercial as “The best thing!”

“My opinion on Maybelline using a male is that it’s really cool that a makeup brand like this is including males,” sophomore Lizeth Gutierrez, no relation to Manny, said. “The gender does not really matter. It is just about how good you are.”

Gutierrez agreed with Vazquez on how the makeup community in the future will include many more males in commercials.

Manny has continued to post YouTube videos on his channel.

On his channel he explained how he felt to be part of the Maybelline commercial, and what he hopes for the future with the makeup brand.

“I was the first boy that Maybelline ever posted on Instagram or social media, in general, and they were telling me that they had a lot of positive love and feedback and that they really wanted to continue to work with me,” he said on one of his videos.

Gutierrez says it’s such an honor and thinks working with Maybelline is going to be amazing.

“I would love to be like a Maybelline Ambassador or like a Maybelline Boy,” Gutierrez added.

Gutierrez and a few other makeup artists recently went to a trip to Aspen with Maybelline. The makeup artists were invited by Maybelline to celebrate the launch of the new Big Shot mascara.

How do you feel about a male being the face of a makeup brand?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In a YouTube video, Gutierrez said he was going to release more makeup products for this year.

“It is going to be coming out in spring during like the March and April months,” said Gutierrez in his YouTube video. “It is going to be like a little mini collection. It is not just going to be one thing, there will be multiple things, and I’m very, very, very excited to have this next collaboration come out.”