La Voz Kids tryout leaves freshman with great memories

The Magnet Tribune: La Voz Kids website
Alexis Perez performs during his audition in this photo from La Voz Kids.

La Voz Kids

Crystal Martinez, Staff Writer

Alexis Perez had a once in a lifetime chance by being in a Spanish-language television series where kids from all around the world go to share their talent of singing. The show is called La Voz Kids, which airs on Telemundo and is in its fourth season.

It all started when 14-year-old Perez went to San Antonio on September 30, 2015, as an eighth grader. He was told there was going to be castings near his hometown, Laredo, and he attended the casting.

“In order to go to the auditions we had to pass three rounds, and after we passed the three rounds we had to wait for the last two weeks of November or the first weeks of December for them to call us and tell us we had made it to the auditions in Orlando,” Perez, whose fine art is Mariachi with instructor Billy Thatcher, said.

The people from the series called Perez to let him know he had made it to the auditions, which were going to take place in Orlando, Florida.

“I wanted to see how far I could get and what I could learn from the experience,” Perez said when asked what was his inspiration to try out for La Voz Kids.

Once he got to the studio in Orlando, he said he was amazed and excited to be there.

“All the people were nice,” said Perez after he got to meet new people from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

I wanted to see how far I could get and what I could learn from the experience.”

— Alexis Perez

When it was time to audition in front of three famous judges, he said he felt excited but scared at the same time because he didn’t know how he was going to do.

At the end of the audition, when he sang “No Volvere” by Cristian Castro, he turned one chair around in the blind auditions, which was round one. Singer Pedro Fernandez was the person who turned his chair around. Perez said he felt he did well and was excited to have Fernandez as his coach.

There were three judges in the series, Daddy Yankee, Natalia Jimenez, and Fernandez, who are all well-known Spanish-language singers.

After the auditions were over the next round was “las batallas,” which means battle in Spanish. Perez and two other teens had to practice and train with their coach, Fernandez, for the battle rounds. During the battle rounds, all three teens competed with each other with one song. At the end, the coach had to take one out and that was Perez.

The season he starred in began airing on April 17, 2016.

After he got back to Laredo a lot changed because fans were requesting him to sing and sign autographs. Even at school, he would be recognized by students who asked to take a photo with him.

A few days later, a local Taco Palenque manager asked Perez to sign autographs. Outside the restaurant was a poster of him because it turned out Taco Palenque wanted to sponsor him.

A few months ago, Perez had the chance to perform and open for El Poder Del Norte, a Spanish musical group, at ExpoMex, the Tamaulipas state fair, in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

Besides those performances, there have been a few more. For example, one was at Laredo SOUP, which is an organization that helps people in need. Another one was at Miss Teen Laredo Latina, a teen pageant in Laredo.

Even out of town, he was asked to perform at a benefit for children who are in need of wheelchairs and other items, in Houston.

After everything was over, Perez has good memories from trying out for La Voz Kids.

“I felt good because I gave it my all, made new friends, and learned a lot from it,” Perez said.