Senior shares her experiences as a crew member

The Magnet Tribune: Karla Alvarez

Theater student and senior Brittney Moreno was a crew member for “The Diary of Anne Frank.”

Karla Alvarez, Staff Writer

Senior Brittney Moreno worked in the production of “The Diary of Anne Frank” as a crew member. Moreno lent a hand with costume and set changes.

Moreno said working on set was very entertaining. There was a lot of teamwork.

“It was really fun,” Moreno said.

She also added that helping out on the set wasn’t always so easy.

There is a lot that goes on back stage, and it is all a team effort if they (cast and crew) want everything to run smoothly.”

— Brittney Moreno

“There was a point where I had to change the bed sheet. Since, I don’t have a lot of upper body strength and I was on a time limit some other crew members decided to help me,” Moreno said.

Even though Moreno did not have a lot of strength that did not stop her from changing the set, scene after scene. Moreno had a lot of help from other crew members for the set change and with the costume change the actors were very cooperative in getting changed on time for the next act.

The Diary of Anne Frank was a live action production of non-fictional book, The Diary of Anne Frank. The Diary of Anne Frank was a diary written by a young Jewish teenage girl while she and her family were in hiding from the Nazis at the time of Hitler during WWII.

The young girl would write about how her family started to behave after the Nazis took over and how it was like to keep quiet all throughout the day, and somewhat quiet throughout the night. Anne Frank and her family all went to hide in a secret annex in an apartment behind their friend, Otto’s, business.

Although Moreno did not work with any technical equipment she still very much enjoyed working on set with everyone else.

“It was a really fun experience,” Moreno said.

“I loved spending time with crew in our down time, and we’d play with the cat, Frida, during the second act,” Moreno said.

From the Anne Frank production Moreno stated she learned something about working as a crew member.

“There is a lot that goes on back stage, and it is all a team effort if they (cast and crew) want everything to run smoothly,” Moreno said.

Moreno also added how everyone working on and off set were very comfortable with one another.

“Everybody involved in Anne Frank was really close and extremely welcoming when new crew members came in. We were basically a huge family nonetheless. A lot of us still keep in touch and I think that’s amazing,” Moreno said.

Although the Anne Frank production was not Moreno’s first time working on or off stage, Moreno has participated in several shows at VMT as both cast and crew. Moreno as well was a part of the crew in One Act Play during her 8th grade year at Lamar Middle School. Moreno also played a role in “Sea of Stories” this year at Nixon High School.

“I’ve enjoyed every show I’ve ever been a part of,” Moreno said.

For nearly six years Moreno has been acting and studying acting and theatre. Moreno said that she prefers to act on stage but working off stage is just as exciting.

“If I could do it (work as a crew member) for the rest of my life I would,” Moreno said.