Morning classes celebrate Mexico’s independence

The Magnet Tribune: Mariene Sanchez
Emily Molina, Stephanie Benavides, Raquel Reyes, Leo Ayala, Jose de la Rosa, Julio Cirilo, Karla Hernandez, Beatrice Siklo, and Ruby Guerrero pose before a performance at VMT’s Independence of Mexico ceremony.

Victoriano Garica, Staff Writer

Morning students showed their culture and pride at the 16 de septiembre festival through traditional Mexican dances and music.

Dance instructor Alicia Mckinnis organized the festival. She said she had put a lot of work into it.

The dancers really showed their Mexican culture, especially the solo dancer. ”

— Mario Rodriguez

“Honestly I improvised a lot because the experience helped me, but thanks to the cooperation of Celia Hernandez and Billy Thatcher we were able to do everything for this magnificent cultural event,” Mckinnis said.

Mckinnis did a lot of work with the help of choir instructor Celia Hernandez and mariachi instructor Billy Thatcher. Thanks to Hernandez the choir students performed at the event. With the cooperation of Thatcher, mariachi music was played throughout the event.

Students explained their experience and what they enjoyed about the festival.

“I enjoyed everything,” said a student who identified himself as Devin, in piano.

“The dancers really showed their Mexican culture, especially the solo dancer. He has a talent very few people have”, said Mario Rodriguez, junior in journalism.

The solo dancer is Juan Jimenez, a junior at Martin High School. He is Mckinnis’ student.

“He out did himself with his performance,” Rodriguez said.

“I like to show the people the true art of Flamenco and Folcklorico at my age. Of course it wouldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for my wonderful instructor Mrs. Mckinnis. I have not stolen the show because the show just started,” Jimenez said.

Not only did students show up to the event but also Dr. Martha Villarreal, the director of VMT. She watched the dancers perform and she said she had a blast!

“I’m having a fabulous time. Our dancers are incredible. I am very happy with the student dancers and also the rest of the students that spectating. They are well behaved I am proud of everybody here,” Villarreal said.