#VMThrowback: VMT instructor Ashley Ramirez talks about her years as a student

Linda Ramirez and Milton Hattem

Ashley Ramirez as a senior in 2006, and as a teacher at VMT in 2015.

Linda Ramirez, Staff Writer

Her class petitioned and it happened.

English instructor and Tapestry sponsor Ashley Ramirez said her class of 2006 created several activities for VMT that are now traditions.

“My senior class created a lot of the events that our students now enjoy, for example the senior panoramic picture, senior breakfast, the senior shirt, winter ball even the fact that lunch is an option here at the campus. We petitioned to have lunch served here at VMT and, it happened.” Ramirez said.

When asked to compare her days as a student to now as a teacher, Ramirez said “yes in the sense that I’m still at the campus and it’s the same atmosphere and no because I’m on opposite sides of the spectrum.”

I just wish that students kind of follow in my graduating class’ footsteps. That they make positive changes for VMT and that they make it their own.”

— Ashley Ramirez

Ramirez also mentioned how the buildings of VMT are special to her. She says that being back at VMT makes her feel at home.

“It kind of takes you away for a little bit,” she said.

The passing periods or as Ramirez explained it “having that freedom from one class to the next” were her fondest memories from VMT.

She also deeply appreciates the honor system the students had then and still have today. For example students getting to class on time, no bell required.

Ramirez claims that her fine arts, Theater Arts and Flamenco, helped her tremendously. She said she gained multiple skills such as people skills that she has been able to use as a teacher and as a person in general.

Ramirez then admitted that there has been more pressure on her as an educator in the past five years. She also said it be have something to do with the fact that she was “super excited to start teaching” that she saw things in a different way. As she gained experience she saw teaching through a new set of eyes.

“I just wish that students kind of follow in my graduating class’ footsteps. That they make positive changes for VMT and that they make it their own,” Ramirez added.

Linda Ramirez