#VMThrowback: Dance teacher David Arevalo talks about his years in dance

The Magnet Tribune: Jazmin Campos
Dance instructor David Arevalo leads a practice during a recent first period. He is a former VMT student.

Miguel Zamarripa, Staff Writer

David Arevalo, once a VMT student from 1998 – 2001, is now a VMT dance teacher.

Arevalo started at VMT playing the violin with Bobby Compton for two years. Then he became aware of the dance department.

‘’Back in middle school I wasn’t able to do the whole cheer or dance thing when I was at Memorial (Middle School) so I applied to music my first two years,’’ Arevalo said.

Miguel Zamarripa

Junior and senior year he changed his fine art to dance with Cheryl Kirkpatrick and Mary Ellen Leyendecker.

He explained what he likes about dance.

‘’Dance to me is the hidden language of the soul. Your emotions are conveyed without any words, and there’s a lot to be said with just your body,’’ Arevalo said.

Once he graduated from high school he continued to dance at Laredo Community College and then Sam Houston University, where he earned his bachelor’s degree in dance. Arevalo danced for two different companies, the Houston Met and Ballet Arts of San Antonio. Arevalo then migrated to the teaching world, where he became a VMT dance teacher.

Arevalo said he likes the challenges of teaching.

‘’Teaching can be frustrating, it is rewarding to see someone accomplish something that you’re teaching, that makes them understand the importance of it. Once it’s accomplished and set on stage it’s extremely rewarding. I feel like I’ve succeeded at something,’’ Arevalo said.

Arevalo’s greatest memories of the magnet school is the Hispanic festival, where he was part of it in his first year.

‘’The Hispanic festival is my favorite. It was something new to me my first year. All of the performances, the colors and all the great personas with great personalities. It was thriving and made me feel where I belong, in the arts,’’ Arevalo said.

Arevalo said because of dance, he studied dance in college.

“Because I danced here I continued my education in dance at Laredo Community College. Then I earned a bachelor’s degree at Sam Houston University. I danced for the Houston Met and Ballet Arts of San Antonio,’’ Arevalo said.

When performing on stage, he tries to act without speaking.

“It depends on what I’m trying to portray. It’s like acting. I’m moving my body to make a statement without having to talk,” Arevalo said.

Arevalo urged students to continue believing in themselves.

“If you think you can I’m pretty sure you can,’’ he said. “Let that confidence level rise. Be proud of who you are.”