Students reflect on 9/11 at 13th annual ceremony (package)

The Magnet Tribune: Krysta Robles
Display of Fire Department items at the 9/11 ceremony.

Gilbert Rodriguez

Jazmin Campos, Staff Writer

VMT held its 13th annual 9/11 ceremony on Sept. 11, commemorating those who endangered and lost their lives on that tragic day in 2001.

VMT Director Dr. Martha E. Villarreal opened the ceremony talking about how this day should always be remembered and how the nation is envied by people in other countries.

“People envy our way of life, our way of freedom,” Villarreal said.

Mayor Raul Salinas was the event’s guest speaker. Salinas spoke to students, law enforcement officers and VMT staff about 911 and how this event relates to dangerous affairs on the border.

“The threat is real, not only to our city but for our nation of USA,” Salinas said.

God bless you and God bless America and we will never forget those who lost their lives on 911.”

— Mayor Raul Salinas

Showing his American pride, Salinas invited all present, including students to repeat loudly, “I am proud to be American!”

Salinas finished with, “God bless you and God bless America, and we will never forget those who lost their lives on 9/11.”

Also speaking was Larissa Espinosa, master of ceremonies, Abigail Garcia with the background of 911, and Eliseo Ceja with the invocation and the Sept. 11 proclamation.

In honor of those who risked and lost their lives, 10 chimes rung for every 300 that vanished in the attack.

To close the ceremony Taps were played by Edgar Compean, student of Robert Lopez and “God Bless America,” played by the VMT music faculty.

A former VMT student said he liked the ceremony.

“I like that we can have it to remember that day. It really gives us back the American pride we were missing that day,” Gerardo Lerma said.

Delilah Gonzalez